Reading Rocket helps determine the reading age of the learner, and based on this information, it provides effective strategies to improve reading skills. “It forms the rescue vehicle from illiteracy to literacy.”
The aspects mastered on the journey to adequate reading skills are:
- Establishing an extensive vocabulary base
- Spelling skills
- Advanced reading techniques
- Advanced levels of reading comprehension
- Reading motivation
- Reading speed according to international standards
Through the application of Reading Rocket, a culture of mature readers unfolds that can help change households, schools, communities, and countries.
Reading Rocket is suitable for learners needing support, as well as learners wanting to rise above the level required. Literacy levels and performance are monitored continuously.
With this accurate information so readily available, teachers are able to:
- Identify problem areas regarding literacy and reading levels;
- Identify the causes of learning problems (many learning problems are preceded by a reading problem);
- Identify the causes of disciplinary problems (many disciplinary problems are caused by frustration due to a reading problem);
- Take action to solve these challenges.
At Greenwood Primary School, Reading Rocket is offered from grade 1 to grade 7 for an hour per week per class. Reading Rocket is administered by Mrs K. Ah Shene who has undergone specialised training in this programme.